Our studies and our experience led us to recognize Lingua Latina per se illustrata, by H. H. Ørberg, as the most effective Latin course.
This course follows the so-called nature method. Grammar is carefully taught, and learned inductively, i.e. from context (which is the natural process of learning). Much attention is also paid to vocabulary learning, by the inductive method: the words to be learned are chosen on the grounds of their frequency in the usage of classical writers.
The Latin language is constantly practiced, and a continuous narration, entirely in Latin, takes readers to ancient Rome, thereby also supplying them with many notions about Roman civilization and culture. Lingua Latina can be used by learners of any age and any nationality.
At the elementary level, the main books are:
– Familia Romana;
– Latine disco (student’s manual);
– Grammatica Latina;
– Exercitia Latina I; online version, by my friend and colleague Casper Porton, here;
– Nova exercitia Latina I.
At the advanced level, the main books are:
– Roma aeterna;
– Exercitia Latina II;
– Roma aeterna: Instructions.
Complementary readings, based on the same method:
– Fabulae Syrae: 45 Greek and Roman myths and legends. The readings are linked to each chapter of Familia Romana from XXVI to XXXIV.
– Epitome historiae sacrae: a reader entirely in Latin, including 209 readings from the Bible. Mainly for students who have finished Familia Romana. There are also some engaging exercises, including crosswords and matching.
A collection of classical authors, based on the same method, for students who have finished Familia Romana.
– Sermones Romani: an anthology of Latin passages;
– Plautus, Amphitryo;
– Caesar, Commentarii de bello Gallico.
Another collection of classical authors, based on the same method, for students who are using Roma aeterna:
– Virgil, Aeneis;
– Ovid, Ars amatoria;
– Lucretius, De rerum natura;
– Virgil, Bucolica carmina;
– Petronius, Cena Trimalchionis;
– Cicero and Sallust, Catilina.
The above mentioned books can be purchased from Amazon, but also, and sometimes at lower prices, from the following distributors:
– for Italy: Edizioni Accademia Vivarium Novum;
– for the Netherlands: Addisco Onderwijs;
– for Spain: Culturaclasica.com;
– for the United States: Hackett Publishing Company.